Skip to the content
Publications Ready for Download (PDF)
Books & Chapters
- Blacks in Canada: Retrospects, Introspects, Prospects. E.M.A. Thornhill, (Editor). Unprecedented Special Thematic Issue. 38:3 Journal of Black Studies (January 2008).
- Racism… Talking Out. Co-Editor. Unprecedented Thematic Issue. 6:1 Canadian Journal of Women and Law /La Revue Femmes et Droit (1993).
- “Afterwords”. Co-author. Unprecedented Thematic Issue. 6:1 Canadian Journal of Women and Law /La Revue Femmes et Droit (1993).
- “Black Women: The Missing Pages from Canadian Women’s Studies.” Canadian Women’s Issues, Volume 2: Bold Visions. Edited by Ruth Roach Pierson and Marjorie Griffin (Toronto: James Lorimer & Co. Ltd., 1994).
- “Focus On Racism: Legal Perspectives From A Black Experience”. Judicial Awareness: Race, Culture and the Courts. Volume of Reference Materials (Ottawa: National Judicial Institute, March 1995). Translation from Original French, “Regard sur le racisme: perspectives juridiques à partir d’un vécu noir La sensibilisation de la magistrature aux problèmes raciaux et culturels auxquels font face les tribunaux, Volume des textes de référence, l’Institut national de la magistrature (mars 1995); first published in 6:1 la Revue Femmes et Droit, (1993).“Focus on Racism Racism… Talking Out. Co-Editor. Unprecedented Thematic Issue. 6:1 Canadian Journal of Women and Law /La Revue Femmes et Droit.
Reports, Briefs, Depositions & Other Publications
- An African Canadian Open Letter to the UN CERD from Dr. Esmeralda M.A. Thornhill, First James Robinson Johnston Endowed Chair in Black Canadian Studies, to United Nations CERD Members Examining Canada’s 13, and 14th Reports on Compliance with the International Convention for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (ICERD), Geneva, Switzerland, June 20th 2002.
- Black Body: ‘Race’, Resistance, Response. Racism and the Black World Response Symposium Proceedings. (Halifax: Dalhousie University, 2001).
- A travers son chapeau colonial. 2:1 Journal and Bulletin of the Canadian Alliance of Black Educators (1980).
- “Attitudes Are Taught.” 1:3 Journal and Bulletin of the Canadian Alliance of Black Educators (1980); 3:4 Dragon’s Teeth (February 1982).
- “Black Women’s Studies in Teaching Related to Women: Help or Hindrance to Universal Sisterhood?” 16 Fireweed (1983).
Lectures, Presentations & Papers
- Access to Legal Education. Panel Presentation. Access to Legal Education Group National Conference. Université de Montréal, February 1994.
- Acercamiento a la presencia del personaje negro dentro del teatro clásico español del Siglo de Oro: !El resplandor de la sombra! M.A. Thesis, Université de Montréal, 1990.
- Address to the Transition Year Programme Graduating Class of ‘97. Halifax: Dalhousie University, April 18, 1997.
Other Publications, Research Projects
- Congress of Black Women of Canada. Information flyer; Newsletter Vol. 1 No. 1 & 2 (1980); March 8th Manifesto (1984).
- February Black History Month. (Montreal: Education Department, Quebec Human Rights Commission, 1990).
- Popularizing Pushkin… Globally. Public Education Document. James Robinson Johnston Chair Public Education Working Paper Series. (Halifax: Dalhousie University, September 1999).
- The Black Presence in Quebec. Information pamphlet prepared for Le Groupe Afro-Québécois for the XI, World Festival of Youth and Students, Havana, Cuba (Montreal: July 1978).
- Calibrating the Literary and Socio-Politico-Legal Aspects of Pushkin’s Black Identity. In collaboration with John Barnstead. United States State Department / Illinois University Russian Summer Laboratory Programme. On-site Research Residency Award. University of Illinois April 2005.
- Racism and the Black World Response Symposium Project (PDF) funded by Human Resources and Development Canada, Multiculturalism, Canadian Race Relations Foundation and the Office of the President, Dalhousie University.